Sunday, July 08, 2007

Buddhist Bon Dance July 7, 2000


Lat night I was sittin' in the studio pretty much thinkin' I was in for the night when I got a call from a friend. She asked me if I wanted to meet up with her and some other friends who were going to check out a Buddhist Bon Dance in Kapa'a. I had no idea what it was all about but it sounded interesting so I jumped in the van and headed over to the Buddhist temple. When I got there it was quite a interesting scene. There was a bunch of people sitting around a circle and watching dancers of all ages and race in colorful kimonos as they danced around a wooden tower called a yagura. There were other people bangin on a giant drum and later a lady got on the top of the tower and sang a cool song in Japanese. I hung out for a bit and took some pictures that you can see on my Kauai Flickr Set. When I got home I Googled the Bon dance festival and learned about more about this interesting Japanese festival on the Wikipedia website. I am really glad I got over to check this out. This is the type of cultural stuff that has always intrigued me about island life and customs.

No comments: